For chipped or severely damaged teeth, Three Rivers Family Dentistry offer crowns (which cover the teeth) and bridges (these connect multiple crowns or are used to fill a gap where a tooth is missing). We also offer dental veneers, in which a thin piece of porcelain is placed over a tooth/teeth, like a shell, to improve the overall appearance. We have provided crowns and bridges for our clients in a most compassionate way as we understand that your oral appearance is extremely important. Check out the information below to see which option is best for you. Or give us a call and schedule an appointment for a professional evaluation.
We would love to have the opportunity to work with you and your family when it comes to dental crowns, bridges and all your dental needs. Give us a call today or send us a message to request an appointment.
What Is A Crown
A crown is a cap made from various materials suitable for withstanding the biting and chewing forces that a normal tooth must endure. It is placed over a tooth to restore its shape and size, strength, and/or to improve its appearance. The crowns, when cemented into place, fully encase the entire visible portion of the tooth that lies at and above the gum line.
WHY IS A DENTAL CROWN NEEDED?
- A dental crown may be needed to rebuild broken or decayed teeth or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth.
- To restore a damaged, broken or severely worn down tooth.
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t much of the tooth left.
- To secure a dental bridge in place.
- To cosmetically improve the appearance of misshaped or severely discolored teeth.
- To cover a dental implant.
What Is A Bridge
A dental bridge is an appliance made to permanently fit between two porcelain crowns. The bridge fills the gap left by one or more missing teeth. We refer to this as a fixed bridge. Think of a fixed bridge as a permanent bridge which cannot be removed (unlike dentures which you can take out and put back in).
WHEN DO PEOPLE CHOOSE OR NEED A FIXED BRIDGE?
Patients need fixed bridges when:
- Their smile needs some restoration
- They want to be able to chew effectively
- They need help speaking clearly
- The shape of a patient’s face needs to be maintained
- It will help keep other teeth from becoming misaligned